Friday, July 22, 2011

Labatt Blue


**Actually did a video review for this. It's still in the editing stage. I'll keep everyone posted.**

I'm sure this is a beer most people have so I won't spend too much time on it. It was a hot day and I was just looking for something light, smooth, and corny... Just kidding about the corny part, but that's what I ended up getting.


I've had this beer before. From can and I've also had it on draft from my local sports bar. I decided to pick up a 1 pint can at Mel's Pizzeria in Kittanning, PA. Grabbed this one for $1. Hey, it might be cheap swill...but it's cheap. Right? Can I get an "AMEN!" up in here?

Like I said earlier, I don't have any great stories to tell about this one or much to even talk about. It's a cheap, simple, macro lager. So this will be a cheap, simple, macro review.

Appearance: The swill poured a very light golden color. Large bubbles quickly scampered to
the top of the glass to escape the corn hell. Unlucky for them, they didn't really have anywhere to go. The head however, was not too bad, maybe it was just my pour...? It was about a finger and a half thick and looked like a sponge from the side. The head was a completely pale white color. That is a bit depressing, eh?

Aroma: Well...what I did get was corn. What I didn't get was character. That basically describes it. Seriously. It's corn water. At least it smelled just like corn water.

Taste: I'm not quite sure how I can say this without offending too many folks...It's boring. I know Labatt Blue has a huge following on college campuses and in hockey circles but you know what? I'm not afraid to say it. This beer is BORING. The outright taste, just like the smell, is corn. Corn Corn Corn CORN CORN CORN. "How many times do I have to read that word in this loser's review?" You may be thinking. Well, a lot. Seeing as corn is most likely the predominate ingredient in this besides water, it's a hell of a task to try to overcome the corn. It's no Busch though...
There is a bit of sweetness and just the slightest bit of a leafy, hay like hops in there, somewhere. Good luck finding any of it.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated. Very watery. It works.

Over all, this is a beer I would drink again over a few other cheaper macro brews. Although, I can honestly say I would never keep this stocked in my fridge regardless of the situation. For what it is however, i'll go ahead and give this a 1.5/5. I just couldn't give this anything higher.

You could do worse. I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment