Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Egervin Egri Bikavér Bulls Blood 2008

Finally. The time has come for me to do my very first wine review.  My fingers type with glee and jubilation at the thought of scattering this over the millions of feeds that exist on the internet. Oh, what A fantastic idea.

Egervin Egri Bikavér Bulls Blood vintage 2008. A Hungarian red wine. Kadarka varietal. Produced by Egervin Borgazdaság Rt.

(If you would like to learn more about the Egri Bikavér style of wine from Hungary, visit THIS.)


Look: A deep, dark red. I guess that is why they call this "blood." It is as murky and dark as the richest blood any living creature could produce. Pitch-dark puddle of red liquid fills the glass.  I'm sure I could compose A poem just around the look of this wine... I don't have the time though.  I'll leave it to the "experts."

Smell: Very oaky. I'm really amazed at how woody this smells. Some hints of vanilla and over-ripe strawberries sneak in there under the wood.

Taste: The soft acidity of this wine really just glazes your tongue. Sort of like if you poured cough syrup in your mouth and swished it about a bit. Except, this tastes much better. The first taste you get is the smokiness of the grapes used, followed by A strong woody flavor.  Some soft floral tannins   peak through and dance across the palate. Underlying hints of vanilla and peppercorns are present. Just a bit of tartness and some soft alcohol hits the back of the throat. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: A full bodied wine. Velvet smooth with some soft acidity. Does not burn the tongue or throat. A very harmonic composition to say the least.

Overall: I absolutely love this wine. It has easily become one of my favorites.  I would recommend that everyone who is A wine drinker give this one A try. At $8.99 A bottle, you can't go wrong.



Egervin Egri Bikavér Bulls Blood 2008 gets A 5/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment