Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fuller's Nitro E.S.B.


I was visiting The House of 1000 Beers yesterday evening and finally stumbled upon A wonderful gem of a beer.  Well...I guess it's not "finally."  I've stumbled on many fine brews at this establishment.  If you are in the Pittsburgh area and interested in the place, you can go HERE and visit the site. ,k

Fuller's ESB was on a nitro tap. Served in A Redhook pint glass.

Fuller's ESB is brewed by Fuller Smith & Turner PLC. In the United Kingdom (England.)
5.90% ABV
The style is Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Fuller's ESB is brewed with Pale Ale and Crystal malts and from Challenger, Goldings, Northdown, and Target hops.

Look: Fuller's ESB is a very rich, deep amber color.  I love drinking beer on nitro because you actually have to wait to taste it.  It's like a challenge to see how long you can go as the beer settles into A very creamy, rich, tan-white head.   The beers leaves plenty of lacing.  It barely wants to leave the glass.

Smell: The first thing I'm picking up the some earthiness from the hops. Some weedy, grassyness as well. After that, I can really smell the sweet, toasted malt used in this brew. Very delightful and tame.

Taste: Cooked fruit. Some melon and strawberry. Starts off a bit sweet and finishes nice and semi-dry with some really nice hop bitterness thrown in. The hops provide an earthy, tea-like flavor that just floats across the tongue and tingles the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced and easy drinking.  I am in love with this.

Mouthfeel: Fairly chewy and smooth.  Just enough of a tingle to notice it on the tongue, and then it slides right down your throat without any fight at all.  Magnificent.

Overall: This is easily my new favorite beer. Fuller's really have this locked down.  I fell in love with it from first sight and first sip.

Fuller's ESB gets A 5/5 from me.
I can't wait to stock up on some bottles of this.  Every bar in the U.S. needs to carry this on nitro draft.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a mark for British ales, even mediocre ones like Bass, I can't wait to try this when I stop in at HOATB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also mark for British Ales. Bass is one of my favorite more "generic" brews. If it was as cheap as PBR, my refrigerator would be filled with it.

    ReplyDelete